This week, Young Minds is celebrating Creative Art Therapies Week by reflecting on the different creative outlets we use to share our stories and practice self-healing. Check out the video below to hear why art, writing and other forms of creative expression matter to our team:
Young Minds Advocacy believes in the power of creative expression to drive change. That’s why we want to exhibit youth art and poetry at our upcoming Creative Advocacy: Kick off to Mental Health Awareness Month event on April 30th, at the prominent SOMArts gallery in San Francisco. We are currently accepting submission pieces from young artists (ages 15-21) that:
- Express the mental health journey and challenges to wellness faced by young people, their family and/or community;
- Celebrate youth empowerment; and/or
- Focus on a person, place, or idea that has been instrumental to the artist’s growth and healing process.
Would you, or someone you know, be interested in contributing art to display at the event? This is a great opportunity for young artists to showcase their talent and “creative advocacy” through speaking up and out about mental health. Here are a few more details about art submissions:
- Submissions are due by April 18, 2016. Accepted formats include all 2D and 3D art, mixed media, short creative writing pieces, and poetry.
- Artists who submit pieces will receive two complimentary tickets to our Creative Advocacy event, which will also feature a brief program, food and live music.
- Submissions will be returned to the artist after the event concludes, if desired.
Please help us spread the word! Share this post with friends, young people, teachers, and youth programs that may be interested in participating. If you live in the Bay Area, don’t forget to buy tickets to this fun event that will recognize the creative talents of local young people, honor mental health leaders and advocates, and acknowledge our community of supporters. Scholarships to cover the cost of admission are available, learn more here.
I look forward to seeing you there!
Admin Assistant & Communications Coordinator